Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Winter Break Topic

My topic or better yet topics consist of synesthesia research that will be from my own experience as well as research that is being published through various scientific networks and even accounts made by other people with the condition, also I will be researching as I have done throughout the year for the GSA that I am the co-president of but I’m still debating whether or not to publish the research or not that I am doing because I’d need to find a way to remove it and put it more in an objective light so that the other students in the GSA are not included without their express permission for various reasons but most importantly their safety and stability. I became interested in researching synesthesia when I was younger because I was discovering a sphere of reality that everyone else thought either only existed with the assistance of hallucinogens or some form of spiritual enlightenment. It existed and continuous to exist in every part of my perception so it’s pretty hard to ignore even when you put express thought and concentration in it. I became interested in our schools GSA because I became friends with a few of its members when I first came to Reghetti but the GSA at that time was more a meet up place for us that didn’t seem to be really anything more than a few of us sitting in a room and talking as we did every there day of the week. though last year I took a more active role and began assisting the president of last year’s GSA who then left school and since I was pretty much the most assertive and stubborn of the group besides my co-president of course, we then were chosen by last year’s members to be the presidents this year and we choose to work together instead of having a single leader because being the head of a GSA is different than any other club because you’re not just dealing with club meetings and what the next fundraiser is going to be (which isn’t really the most fun work anyways) but you’re dealing with social issues and people who just need you even its just to be part of their support system, you also get more hate than any other group on campus and are the most likely to be targeted. So we decided to be leaders together because we brought different things to the table and we just work well together as the group’s leaders but at this point we are more second parents to the group members then anything. For the synesthesia research it requires an awareness of one’s own reality and the distinguishing features between your own and others, also requires being able to sift through the same 4 year articles in order to maybe find a new one in the research field. The requirements for the GSA topic are a little more fluid, I think the most important trait for it is that you have to be adaptable to the constant changing issues but also really stubborn on certain ones as to show that some moral issues like defining the worth of one’s life compared to another based on preference or orientation is one that doesn’t require a devil’s advocate that leans to the side of the one that it perpetuating hate. You also have to stay constantly informed because the difference between our side and others is that ours has to know the issue every which way while the other side can make an allegation and if you don’t have the perfect response then they believe that they’ve one and thoughts eventually become actions and usually those actions aren't the most cordial. Learning about synesthesia is a constantly ongoing process and the value of information spans from just being able to understand another human being better to understanding the biological makeup of the brains different processes and how to apply it to other cases such as neurodegenerative illnesses and so on. The learning of information that goes towards the GSA is also constantly on going because it has to be adapted to the situation and the feel of the social environment. The information is valuable because it can be used by other groups or organizations looking to improve tolerance and social stability within their groups of people or community. If I had to pick a person to meet someone for my synesthesia masterpiece it would either be someone who has done research in the field or other people with synesthesia or multiple forms of it. For GSA I’m already in the process of trying to acquire a grant and also networking with the other leaders of GSAs or similar groups. For story telling across both topics I hope to further use transmedia and digital resources to better paint the picture. I hope to start and continue regularly posting about both topics on a different blog. I’ve decided that blogger just isn’t for me and I’ve already created a WordPress that I will start posting to exclusively from now on. I choose WordPress for its user interface and freedom to create and do more.

No comments:

Post a Comment